What you will learn
- Relaxation and self-hypnosis techniques to eliminate the fear and tension that cause long labour and unnecessary levels of pain, replacing them with confidence, calm and comfort.
- Special breathing techniques for relaxation, labour and birth.
- Visualisation to produce a shorter, more comfortable labour.
- Mindfulness techniques to maximise your ability to stay focussed, calm and feeling in control.
- Birthing Affirmations to build confidence and to help you look forward to giving birth.
- Massage to release endorphins.
- Fear Release to overcome any concerns you may have about giving birth and parenting.
- To build confidence and trust in yourself and how to listen to and work with your baby and your body.
- How the mother’s body is designed to work in neuromuscular harmony with nature throughout labour.
- To practice deep relaxation during and between uterine surges.
- The importance of prenatal and perinatal bonding.
For further information on HypnoBirthing statistics please open this pdf document.
“It was really refreshing to view birth as a wonderful experience that doesn’t have to be panicky/overwhelming and painful – that you can embrace the intensity and allow/trust your body to do a lot of the work. For me it cemented the view of birth as a natural process rather than a medical occurance, which helped me feel empowered as a woman and gave me the confidence to change from an Obestrician and hospital birth to a midwife with the option of a home/birth centre birth.”
“Thanks to HypnoBirthing I have overcome all fear related to pain and failure of my first two babies. This technique empowered my mind and body to ensure I could give birth naturally and comfortably. Birthing my son in this way also gave me a lot of strength to make decisions and manage my life bravely. Thanks HypnoBirthing for this amazing life experience.”
When should I start?
The best time to begin your classes is NOW!
If you are past 15 weeks into your pregnancy then it is never too early to start.
Likewise, it’s also never too late. And it’s certainly better late than never. If you are beyond 35 weeks, you will still find the course very valuable, as long as you complete it prior to going into labour. Talk to Helen about private sessions if you’re in the last few weeks of your pregnancy.
Why should I start now?
There are huge benefits in practising relaxation for both mother and baby.
Fear is the enemy of the birthing room and when the body is relaxed, the firing of neuropeptides in the brain are slowed, therefore pain is lessened and often non-existant.
Babies exposed to the relaxation hormones from their mother during pregnancy are also far more likely to be calmer, more content and are better at sleeping and feeding.
Practising relaxation in your pregnancy is truly a win-win situation. Therefore the earlier you start, the better for both mother and baby.
Why is Relaxation Important?
The body and mind work at their optimum when relaxed and free of tension.
When having your baby using Hypnobirthing techniques, what you will experience is similar to the daydreaming or focusing that occurs when you are engrossed in a book or starting at a fire. You will be conversant and in good spirits – totally relaxed, but fully in control. You will be aware of your body’s contractions, but will be able to determine the extent to which you feel the surge. You will experience your birthing in an atmosphere of calm and relaxation, without the fear and tension that cause pain. Your body’s natural anaesthesia (endorphins) will replace the stress hormones that cause pain.
When it is time for your baby to be born, you will be fully awake and involved.